The Cloud Operations Engineer (Select Customer Care Engineer) is responsible for working with Flexentials largest customers to deliver technical services that support their unique IT requirements while serving as a trusted advisor to these customers. This department is highly visible and paramount to customer satisfaction. The Cloud Operations Engineer will work in a geographically diverse team environment, to ensure timely and accurate delivery of Flexential services, in coordination with both internal and third-party technical resources. This position acts as an escalation point for support requests that exceed the boundaries of standard support teams and provides guidance to operations personnel in the planning and execution of customer projects that are within Flexentials scope of services.
Key Responsibilities and Essential Job Functions
- Delivery and Implementation Support
- Develop and provide technical review of proposed design and architectural solutions.
- Assess platform alignment to customer business goals/outcomes.
- Assist in development of collaborative plan for mutual success of customer and Flexential.
- Assist with installation and configuration of Flexential services, including but not limited to:
- Implement and support Cloud compute Infrastructure (including installation, configuration, upgrade, patching, and maintenance & monitoring).
- Installs and configures rackmount servers and blades.
- Manages vCenter, ESXi, UCS Manager, and other tools.
- Support, document, and execute on migrations and upgrades in support of platform asset lifecycle management.
- Assist in scoping, simulating, and performing disaster recovery-related exercises.
- Create and maintain appropriate documentation to ensure others can successfully support customer infrastructures.
- Document requirements and contribute to project plans for peer review.
- Engage additional Flexential or partner resources as necessary.
- Maintain in-depth technical knowledge of Flexential product and service offerings.
- Participate in team cross-training, knowledge transfer and best practice dissemination.
- Serve as an escalation point for technical problems in a support setting.
- Work in a team environment with issues escalated by Flexential Service Support or other groups within Flexential.
- Troubleshoot difficult problems and recommend appropriate actions, enlisting peer and vendor support as needed.
- Provide assistance cross-functionally in support of Windows, Linux, and ESXi performance troubleshooting and optimization.
- Monitor and correct performance issues, preferably in a proactive manner.
- Proactively manage customer issues and communications while working toward resolution.
- Develop Method of Procedure (MOP) documentation, for repeatable and complex, customer service requests.
- Participate in rotating on-call responsibilities for customer support requests.
- Trusted Advisor
- Demonstrate in depth knowledge of the solutions and technologies that support the customers current and future environment.
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate to both the technical and management teams in an effective manner.
- Provide thought leadership for the customer in technology and technical solutions.
- Demonstrate a desire to understand the customers business and meet the customers needs as a primary focus.
- Demonstrate being trustworthy by being credible and reliable.
- Provide current state analysis and future state recommendations of customer technical environment.
- Position may be required to work weekends or nights to execute maintenance activities
- Participate in 24x7 on-call rotation (one week rotating shifts).
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Perform other duties as required and assigned.
- 5+ years experience, with a strong infrastructure engineering and administration background, in one or several of the following technical areas:
- Supporting and automating cloud-based IT environments (e.g. VMware, Hyper-V, Xen, AWS or AZURE)
- Managing multisite network technologies (Router, Firewall, Switch and Load Balancer technologies)
- Data Protection (Configuration, Datasets, Schedules and Retention Policies)
- Storage (Storage Architecture, Capacity Management, Change and Configuration Management)
- Ability to work in a fast paced, SLA-bound, 24x7 service provider environment.
- Practical understanding of a large breadth of infrastructure technologies under support.
- Effectively prioritize reactive and proactive activities.
- World-class customer service and communication skills.
- Ability to quickly assess problems and execute a viable plan of action.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) required.
- Strong conflict resolution skills.
- 4+ years experience with VMware ESXi Implementation and Support.
- 3+ years experience with Cisco UCS.
- 3+ years experience with Dell or Other Vendor rackmount server solutions.
- 3+ years experience with Zerto.
- Experience with managing vCloud Director.
- Experience with VMware vRealize Operations or VMware NSX.
- Experience in a service provider, consulting or professional services environment.
- Cloud or network related certifications or formalized training such VMware VCP, CCNA, CCNP, NSE 4+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Server+ or CompTIA Cloud+.
- Experience with Commvault, EMC Avamar, Data Domain, Veeam or Rubrik.
- Experience with Netapp, Infinidat, Hitachi, EMC or Object Storage platforms.
- ITIL Certification.
- Knowledge of ITIL and Agile process and how they relate to architecture and project delivery.
- Project management experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Engineering or other technical discipline.
Base Pay Range: Annualized salary range offered for this position is estimated to be $86,000-$96,000., however, the actual pay range depends each candidates experience, qualifications, and job location.
Variable Pay: Discretionary annual bonus, based on personal and company performance.
Benefits of working at Flexential
Life and AD&D
Short Term and Long Term Disability
Leave of Absence
Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO)
Health Savings Account (HSA)
Employee Assistance Program
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Rewards and Recognition Program
Benefits programs are subject to change at the companys discretion
LI-KL1 All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status.