The purpose of this Compliance Officer role is to develop, manage and monitor the Colleges systems and procedures for health and safety and environmental statutory inspection and compliance.
Identifying legislative requirements and implementing a best practice approach across all campus sites, informing relevant staff as required.
Reporting to the Estates Manager, the role will be responsible for working within the Estates department to ensure legal compliance with the statutory inspection, periodic testing and management of:
- Local Exhaust Ventilation
- Electrical testing
- Lifts and lifting equipment
- Pressure systems
- Boilers and gas safety
- Fire safety, including; automatic fire detection systems, smoke control systems, fire doors, portable firefighting equipment, automatic fire doors and shutters
- Lightning protection systems
- Scaffolding and ladder safety
- Automatic doors including disability access and egress
- Energy and waste management data including site waste licensing
- Measuring and calculating Carbon footprint data and identifying areas of improvement relating to statutory compliance i.e. boilers etc.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In particular the role will:
- Identify best practice approaches and provide legislative updates to the Estates and HS&E manager in relation to statutory inspection and periodic testing
- Identify any specific departmental requirements relating to statutory inspection and periodic testing
- Work with estates colleagues in striving to continually improve statutory compliance systems and providing effective compliance management support and guidance to College departments
- With the Estates Manager and HS&E Manager; plan, procure, schedule, co-ordinate and record statutory inspection and testing regimes across all college buildings to ensure they are fit for purpose.
- To work with the estates department and departmental technicians to identify and monitor the testing and maintenance requirements required for statutory compliance across all sites.
- Develop, implement, manage and audit all aspects of estates related statutory compliance, policies, procedures and records.
- Update and develop the use of the College systems to include relevant planned maintenance and testing regimes, recording compliance actions and monitoring arrangements.
- Initiate/authorise minor works relating to compliance management via the Estates help desk.
- Work with the estates department and contractors to arrange and supervise improvement works including the processing of Permits to Work for high risk areas/activities, access arrangements and the issuing of up to date site drawings.
- Assist in the preparation of technical specifications for tender/quotation of compliance contracts.
- Assist in the management of asbestos containing materials within college buildings, liaise with relevant stakeholders, maintain asbestos registers and attend appropriate UKATA asbestos training.
- Assist in the management of Legionella in accordance with the College risk assessment, monitoring and testing arrangements for all sites and arrange any for non-conformity's to be resolved.
- Assist the Estates Manager in managing the annual compliance budget.
- Assist in incident/accident reporting, reviewing building fire risk assessments, fire alarm and emergency evacuations across all sites.
- Liaise with the College insurer regarding statutory compliance checks. Ensure findings are communicated to relevant stakeholders and remedial actions are undertaken.
- Assist in the monitoring and measuring of environmental data (eg waste, energy) across all sites, identifying areas of improvement relating to statutory compliance and Level 5 Green Dragon standard.
- Maintain a thorough, and up to date, working knowledge of the College's HS&E management system, policies and procedures. Contribute to the development of systems and procedures as appropriate for all infrastructure and buildings.
- Refer promptly to the Estates Manager and HS&E Manager on any issues relating to statutory compliance which cannot be resolved.
- To work as a College first aider, fire marshal and emergency responder across all college sites
- To work in line with Health and Safety guidelines of the college
- Any other duties as may be considered appropriate for this post.
Comply with all College Policies & Procedures, keeping abreast of any changes and updating practice and/or systems to ensure continued compliance.
Ensure that all aspects of the College Financial Regulations are followed.
Contribute to and represent the overall vision and values of the College.
Ensure that all services are delivered in compliance with the Welsh Language Standards.
To flexibly respond to the needs of the business and to provide an effective service to our learners and other stakeholders.
In partnership with the College, take responsibility for personal development, including:
Participating in an annual staff review and identifying development needs.
Updating of professional, teaching and training skills and qualifications, through attending staff development opportunities, joining professional bodies and keeping informed of educational and professional initiatives.