Business Unit Description:
Michael Foods, Inc. is a leader in the food processing and distribution industry with business in egg products, refrigerated grocery and potato products. We offer exciting job possibilities throughout our organization where you can enhance your career, sharpen your talents and make an impact. Join our company and be part of an innovative team that's First in Food.
Michael Foods, Inc. located in Lenox, Iowa and often called the "Pearl of the Prairie" is where you can find small town living, focused on family and friends, with big city amenities not far from reach in Des Moines, Omaha, and Kansas City. Located in southwest Iowa, Taylor county, with a population of around 1400, the Lenox area reaches far beyond the city limits with beautiful and productive fields of corn, beans, and other croplands. Lenox holds an amazing four day Rodeo every July and is home to a beautiful 36-9 hole golf course, several fishing and boating lakes, great area hunting, a beautiful city park with swimming pool, and many picnic parks. The MFI location in Lenox produces primarily pre-cooked egg patties. With its friendly atmosphere, safe environment, and progressive spirit, Lenox is a great place to live, work, play, and raise a family.
The Sanitation Technician 1 position is responsible for effective cleaning in specified areas of the facility. The primary focus will be on ensuring health safety and food safety from day to day. This will be accomplished by understanding and applying GMP's, SSOP's, plant policies and procedures. All employee's, customers and consumers benefit from the work of the sanitarian ensuring a safe product.
This position has the responsibility to comply with Safety work rules at all times as well as an obligation to reinforce Safety as a Core Value. Ensures that all policies, procedures and activities, related to Food Safety & Quality, are followed and complied with uniformly, in an effort to reduce product and process variability.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Disassemble, clean, sanitize and reassemble some production equipment along with cleaning and sanitizing the production work areas with the use of pressure sprayers, foamers, and other sanitation equipment.
Assist in setup and start of designated production equipment.
Assist in Clean Out of Place (COP) procedures.
Complete the proper paperwork required of the position.
Assist in production jobs as needed.
Be a team member.
Expected to adhere to safe work practices, follow GMP and HACCP guidelines, maintain sanitary conditions and ensure that product quality is maintained.
Report to management any conditions or practices that may adversely affect food safety, food quality or personnel safety.
Ensures regulatory compliance at all times.
Performs other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Follow Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP's), Safety regulations, and Sanitation procedures for the area
- Basic mechanical skills with the ability to disassemble and reassemble production equipment
- Ability to learn Confined Space Entry procedures and Lock Out/Tag Out (LOTO)
- Learn and adhere to chemical safety training
- Strong attention to detail when reassembling equipment
- Ability to work indoors in a damp environment
- Wear the proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for the position
- Good writing, verbal and communication skills
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. safely
- Ability to achieve Powered Industrial Truck (PIT) certification
- The equivalent combination of education and experience to successfully perform the essential duties.
- Ability to operate specific equipment or tools
- Ability to read a limited number of two-and three-syllable words and to recognize similarities and differences between words and between series of numbers.
- Ability to print and speak simple sentences.
- Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's.
- Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume and distance.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in oral form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving one concrete variable in standardized situations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- No prior experience or training.