The Payroll Manager is responsible for modeling the 3 Company values of Compassion, Integrity, and Excellence, and for promoting the Compassus philosophy, using the 6 Pillars of success as the foundation. S/he is responsible for upholding the Code of Ethical Conduct and for promoting positive working relationships within the company, among all departments, and all external stakeholders.
The Payroll Manager is responsible for preparation of accurate and timely payroll processing in accordance with company, federal, state and local regulatory agency requirements. S/he manages the preparation and distribution of the organization's hourly and salaried payrolls for multiple locations. Duties include ensuring multi state compliance, developing reports by location, creating and maintaining payroll procedures and controls, and helping to train and develop the current and future staff. S/he is responsible for applying the rules and regulations of state and federal regulatory agencies and other certified agencies.Position Specific Responsibilities
Education and/or Experience
- Provide leadership to payroll department team members by directing their activities, setting goals and performance measures, assessing performance, providing feedback and coaching, and mentoring the team as needed.
- Own the entire payroll process from start to finish, ensuring timely and accurate processing, delivery and reconciliation of all payrolls.
- Establish standard procedures for payroll processing, ensuring strong internal controls and segregation of duties.
- Ensure timely filings and maintain compliance with appropriate government authorities in a multi-state environment.
- Manage and audit year-end payroll activities including preparing W-2's and various payroll tax filings.
- Maintain and ensure accuracy and consistency of payroll database and records including earnings, deductions, along with tax withholding setup and maintenance, audits, payroll reports. Processing all necessary corrections as needed.
- Analyze workflow process and look for ways to optimize and improve processes; Partner with HRIS in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Work with Accounting to provide audit support and special projects as needed.
- Maintain a complete understanding of all US federal/state wage and hour laws related to payroll including garnishments, benefits, leave of absence, 401k, FSA and taxes to ensure compliance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Human Resources, or related field required.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of US payroll experience, including 3+ years managerial experience within a multi-state environment (including California) required.
- Workday payroll experience strongly preferred.
- ADP Compliance experience strongly preferred.
Certifications, Licenses and Registrations
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentage.
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from leaders, colleagues, investors, and external parties.
- Other Skills and Abilities: Ability to understand, read, write, and speak English. Articulates and embraces hospice philosophy. Advanced excel skills. Strong work ethic and ability to be productive and successful in a fast-paced work environment. Excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to effectively communicate across departments and at all levels. Exceptional attention to detail with the ability to identify issues and propose solutions to complex or non-standard situations.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a colleague to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the colleague is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk and hear. The colleague frequently is required to stand, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The colleague is occasionally required to walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The colleague must frequently lift and/or move more than 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a colleague encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. There will be possible exposure to infectious diseases through working with clinical caregivers. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
At Compassus, including all Compassus affiliates, diversity, equity, and inclusion are fundamental to our Pillars of Success. We are committed to creating a fair work environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, highly valued, and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.