Nelnet is a diversified and innovative company committed to enriching lives through the power of service as a student loan servicer, professional services company, consumer loan originator and servicer, payments processor, and K-12 and higher education expert. For over 40 years, Nelnet has been serving its customers, associates, and communities.
The perks of working at Nelnet go beyond our benefits package. When you join the Nelnet team, you're part of a community invested in the success of each individual. That support comes through in our work, as we are united by our mission of creating opportunities for people where they live, learn, and work.
The Senior Risk Management Manager is a newly created position responsible for the management and oversight of day-to-day Risk Management programs and functions for Nelnet Bank. This includes Bank-wide risk assessment, Third Party Risk Management, Issue Management, and New Products. The position reports directly to the Bank Chief Risk Officer. Nelnet Bank is an online de novo industrial loan charter bank, focused on education financing and regulated by the FDIC and Utah Department of Financial Institutions. JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work closely with the Banks Chief Risk Officer, as well as the Nelnet Inc. Risk Management organization and Bank Technology teams, to ensure the risk management programs and functions are well designed, prepared to scale for growth and are operating in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Direct risk assessment processes across the Bank to ensure risks are identified, documented, evaluated, and controlled and support addressing and developing control enhancements or action plans when needed.
- Oversee Third Party Risk Management functions and coordinate with the Banks Parent company to ensure third party risk is evaluated, monitored, and controlled.
- Oversee and monitor the Banks Issue Management Program to ensure alignment with the Banks program requirements and work with business lines to ensure proper management of identified issues.
- Support the new product process to ensure risk is assessed and controlled for and that bank requirements are identified and implemented as needed.
- Maintain Risk Management policies, risk assessments, and procedures and manage day-to-day processes.
- Prepare for and participate in regulatory and internal reviews and audits
- Oversee first-line of defense testing results and perform or review second line of defense testing of processes.
- Other initiatives, special projects, and duties as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree preferably in related field or 5+ years related experience.
- Financial institutions and online banking
- Risk management experience including awareness and knowledge of risk assessment, third party oversight, issue management, and new product oversight processes.
- Management reporting and governance and oversight activities
- Must possess ability to engage others and to work collaboratively with all departments across the organization
- Excellent analytical, leadership, and problem-solving skills
- Organized, process and detail oriented, and driven toward measurable result
- Ability to motivate and coach others as well as work with diverse groups across the Bank and the Parent company
- Knowledge and understanding of laws and regulations relating risk management
- Experience with development of policies and procedures
- Ability to take direction and then work independently on multiple issues concurrently, and to exercise independent judgment in establishing priorities
- Ability to succeed in a fast pace, heavy workload, entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to communicate complex concepts clearly
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Ability to adapt to highly diversified and changing environment, as well as the dynamics and challenges of a business start up
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite of products
Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, HSA and FSA, generous earned time off, 401K/student loan repayment, life insurance & AD&D insurance, employee assistance program, employee stock purchase program, tuition reimbursement, performance-based incentive pay, short- and long-term disability, and a robust wellness program. Click here to learn more about our benefits: LINK () .
Nelnet is an Equal Opportunity Employer, complies with Executive Order 11246, and takes affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, national origin, gender, or sex, marital status, age, disability, use of a guide dog or service animal, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or any other status protected by Federal or State law or local ordinance.
Qualified individuals with disabilities who require reasonable accommodations in order to apply or compete for positions at Nelnet may request such accommodations by contacting Corporate Recruiting at or .
Nelnet is a Drug Free and Tobacco Free Workplace.