324822 BASIC PURPOSE
: The primary purpose of this position is to ensure indirect taxes are accrued, collected, and remitted to taxing authorities accurately, timely, and efficiently. This position will assist in all areas of the tax department as needed. MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Prepare and file fuel excise, occupancy, sales and use, and other various tax returns across multiple taxing jurisdictions
- Resolve tax notices
- Assist with and/or manage audits from states
- Research and verify tax rates and tax codes
- Assist with and/or implement automation efforts
- Keep up to date on current state policies on taxation and be aware of any upcoming changes in tax law
- Amend prior returns to correct any past issues.
- Gather documents and apply for appropriate refunds.
- Analyzes return and communicates trends of inconsistencies to tax leadership
- Write, analyzes, and updates tax software.
- Assists tax leadership with special projects.
- Work with other departments within the company to prevent or resolve indirect tax issues.
- Reconcile work papers as assigned.
- Make recommendations for improvement
- Other duties assigned
SKILLS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Business, Prelaw or Paralegal Certificate preferred
- Experience in indirect tax, accounting, reconciliation, or research preferred
- Hard skills: Proficient in Microsoft Office Suit; operation of standard office equipment
- Soft skills: Strong verbal and oral communication skills; keen attention to detail; self-motivated; the ability to work closely with coworkers to resolve and correct tax issues
- Typical Physical Demands:
- Requires prolonged sitting, some bending and stooping
- Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds
- Manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer keyboard
- Requires normal range of hearing and vision
Accounting and Finance
Loves Travel Stops & Country Stores is the industry-leading travel stop network in the United States. For more than 55 years, weve provided customers with highway hospitality and Clean Places, Friendly Faces. Were passionate about serving drivers with clean, modern facilities stocked with fuel, food and supplies. We offer meals from popular restaurant chains, trucking supplies, showers and everything needed to get back on the road quickly. The Loves Family of Companies includes:
- Gemini Motor Transport, one of the industrys safest trucking fleets
- Speedco, the light mechanical and trucking service specialists
- Musket, a rapidly growing, Houston-based commodities supplier and trader
- Trillium, a Houston-based alternative fuels expert