An exciting opportunity exists to join the ProAssurance family of companies! We are a specialty writer of professional liability, products liability and workers' compensation insurance. With approximately 1000 employees operating in all 50 states, we are well positioned to offer career opportunities to individuals interested in professional growth.
This position supports our healthcare professional liability line of business and can be fully remote in the continental US.Job Summary:
The primary responsibility of the Senior Underwriter (Specialty) is to use underwriting authority to develop and build external relationships to write profitable new business and retain existing policyholders in an assigned territory and/or with assigned brokers. This underwriter will solicit, examine, accept and reject insurance risks based on underwriting guidelines in all market segments of the program This role will follow the underwriting authority granted them by the Vice President, Specialty Underwriting. This position will classify and price acceptable accounts to meet underwriting profit goals and expense objectives; support underwriting colleagues with broader production responsibilities; and monitor, analyze and report on the quantity and quality of assigned book of business. The Senior Underwriter has responsibility over larger, more complex accounts within a specialized segment of the specialty underwriting unit. This position will serve as a sounding board and mentor to the Underwriters.Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
65% Underwriting and Underwriting Profitability
: Underwrite new and renewal submissions, with primary focus upon manual and experience rated accounts. Pursue new business opportunities while managing existing book of renewal business. Create terms and conditions for each applicant based on underwriting guidelines, program rates and coverage forms and authority level. Work closely with and collaborate with colleagues in all disciplines including: Actuarial, Claims, and Risk. Adhere to Letter of Authority without exception. Will use advanced knowledge of pricing models and be proficient at working through the actuarial-underwriting nuances. May work with admitted and non-admitted accounts. Identify program risks, process improvement opportunities and claims trends. Refer accounts to the Production Team when appropriate.
15 % Relationship and Distribution Management
: Expand new business opportunities in preferred classes of business through target accounts and brokers in all market segments. Arrange and conduct meetings with brokers/agents, and insureds/prospects to discuss terms and conditions, exposures, claims and related concerns.
10%Policy and Procedures, and Compliance
:Document files and ensure compliance and audit-worthiness. Collaborate with other teams on cross-sell initiatives.
5%Financial Results Management and Reporting
: Assists in establishment of revenue budget and monitors performance against plan, while keeping keen focus upon loss ratio targets. Provide reporting to leadership to facilitate tracking and measurement of results.Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
5%Innovation and Product Development
: Keeps educated on evolving risks, and exposures. Engages others about ways to improve the service and/or products that we provide. Encourages others, at all levels, to offer ideas and take initiative to vet those ideas.Qualifications/requirements:
- Bachelor's degree required with a preference for study in Insurance, Risk Management, Business Administration or other business related field.
- Minimum of at least 6 years healthcare professional liability underwriting experience, with at least 4 of those years with specialty underwriting experience.
- CPCU, AIC or ARM highly desired.
- Understanding of insurance and medical terminology, and insurance and underwriting principles required
- Previous professional liability experience required
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills; ability to work well within a team environment
- Self-motivated and able to accomplish multiple tasks in a timely manner
- Accomplished written and verbal communication skills
- Analytical ability, in order to gather data and interpret information; request more information when data is incomplete and prioritize work.
- Ability to attend insurance and industry/business functions to promote and present a positive image of the Company.
- Proven self-starter with strong multi-tasking and relationship management skills.
- Able to make sound decisions and devise appropriate solutions
- Able to review the work of others, provide feedback and approve other underwriters' quotations
- Strong negotiating skills
- Excellent listening, speaking, writing and presentation skills. Ability to process information logically
- Meets work deadlines, excellent desk management skills.
- Solid knowledge of rating and documentation management and workflow systems.
- Able to create, build and develop superior relationships with agencies and internal colleagues