The position is open to remote work. Traveling is minimal, with a few days a year in Seattle WA.
Sea-Bird has a Paid Time Off Policy where you can take time off when you need it and without needing to track it.
A wholly owned subsidiary of Danaher Corporation (NYSE: DHR), Sea-Bird Scientific () is headquartered in Bellevue, Washington. Sea-Bird Scientific is the worlds largest developer and manufacturer of products for the measurement of salinity, temperature, pressure, dissolved oxygen, fluorescence, nutrients and related oceanographic parameters in marine waters. We offer products to support best-in-class oceanography and climate science. We offer an entrepreneurial environment that is team-centered, customer-driven, quality-focused, and growth-oriented.
Working at Sea-Bird Scientific gives you access to a robust career development process and challenging stretch opportunities. Sea-Bird Scientific is proud to be one of Danaher's Water Quality companies () . Through strong customer partnerships, the water platform advances the quality and delivery of water. Want to help us in this mission?
Purpose of position:
Are you passionate about stretching your software skills to multiple fields such as data capture, data processing, instrument control and data visualization? We are looking for a Software Engineer specialized in scientific data systems. This is an exciting time to join with the opportunity to drastically improve existing applications and drive the innovation of new products!
You will build new customer-facing applications and data analysis tools for oceanographic research programs. You will interact with the product team, with operation and with data scientists specialized in oceanographic data.
What a day will look like:
- Build and improve the entire software ecosystem including data platform, data portals, instrument firmware and customer-facing applications.
- Define software architecture to enable new features as well as to support existing ones.
- Develop new data processing tools, including data acquisition, transformation, storage and visualization.
- Participate in Scrum activities through the life of a project, working closely with other teams in engineering, production, and science.
- Bachelor of Science degree with 5 years of work experience. Past work should be in software development, system integration or scientific instrument. Candidates with a background in electrical engineering will also be considered.
- Experience with compiled languages as well as a TypeScript framework, ideally React Native.
- Experience with data schema and data-driven applications.
- Experience in system design, system integration, and connected systems.
Most of the work is team-based although some smaller projects are done individually at time. We value the ability to identify design patterns and anti-patterns as well as reusing existing code written by others.
We would hope a candidate would have some experience in or wants to learn any of the following:
- Agile team, Scrum preferred
- Data formats such as XML / XSD, JSON, protobuf or binary formats.
- Experience with automated unit testing, source control, ticket tracking system, CI/CD pipelines, etc.
- Understanding of data manipulation for scientific datasets with Matlab or preferably Python.
- Some exposure to embedded systems or scientific instrumentation.
The salary range for this role is 90K - 125K. This is the range that we in good faith believe is the range of possible compensation for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and this range is only applicable for jobs to be performed in Colorado. This range may be modified in the future.
This job is also eligible for bonus/incentive pay.
We offer comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance and 401(k) to eligible employees.
You can apply for this role through the Careers Page at (or through the Workday Find Jobs function if you are a current employee)
Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, benefits, or any other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Companys sole discretion, consistent with the law.
LI-Remote LI-SM3 When you join us, youll also be joining Danahers global organization, where 80,000 people wake up every day determined to help our customers win. As an associate, youll try new things, work hard, and advance your skills with guidance from dedicated leaders, all with the support of powerful Danaher Business System () tools and the stability of a tested organization.
Danaher Corporation and all Danaher Companies are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other characteristics protected by law. We value diversity and the existence of similarities and differences, both visible and not, found in our workforce, workplace and throughout the markets we serve. Our associates, customers and shareholders contribute unique and different perspectives as a result of these diverse attributes.The EEO posters are available here () .We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at to request accommodation. If youve ever wondered whats within you, theres no better time to find out.