Summary: At Great Wolf, the Executive Steward works in a fast paced, exciting environment to deliver on our commitment to high quality hospitality through food & beverage preparation and safety. As a co-leader of the Food & Beverage department, the Executive Steward manages the support operations for all kitchen and event spaces, with direct oversight of all warewash activities, inventory levels of tools and service equipment, maintenance of back-of-house equipment and assists with scheduling and training employees, all geared towards continually meeting and exceeding guest and employee satisfaction within budgeted financial parameters.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Partners with the Chef and Banquet Manager with the preparation, presentation and execution of event space operations.
- Supports the Chef and F&B Managers with the preparation, presentation and execution of restaurant, quick-service and bar operations.
- Actively participates and follows up in the proficient hiring, training, scheduling, coaching, and counseling, of Pack Members; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, giving feedback, and reviewing job contributions; enforcing GWL policies and procedures.
- Direct oversight of dishwasher team assigned to keeping all kitchens in full working order; maintaining stock of all china, glass, silver and associated food service equipment to designated pars, and keeping all cooking/serving utensils and plates clean & sanitary at all times.
- Direct oversight of dishwasher and kitchen cleaning team assigned with organizing, rinsing, and running dishes and utensils through dishwasher; unloads and organizes per set guidelines and safety standards.
- Direct oversight of team assigned with organizing and maintaining supply levels of all kitchen-related chemicals and cleaning components; ensures team is keenly trained on SDS forms, safety and compliance.
- Direct oversight of team assigned with food & beverage waste management including continual removal of waste, as well as cleanliness of trash receptacles, dumpster and dock areas.
- Direct oversight of night cleaning crew and associated activities/expectations.
- Ensures back of house areas continually strictly adhere to the highest local and national standards of cleanliness, organization and maintenance.
- Ensures lodge complies and meets all minimum score goals for scheduled and non-scheduled safety inspections.
- Conducts or participates in department pre-shift meetings.
- Works with the Director, Chefs and F&B Managers to hire, train, supervise, schedule and participate in activities of chefs, cooks, dishwashers and other Pack Members involved in preparing, cooking and presenting food in accordance with productivity standards, cost controls and food safety compliance.
- Works with Director, Chef and Human Resources to source, coordinate and train contract labor as needed including ensuring all safety and payroll considerations are conducted in the pre-determined manner.
- Works with Chef and HR to ensure timely, accurate execution of scheduling and payroll activities. Monitor equipment operation, perform preventative maintenance, troubleshoot breakdowns, maintain supplies, and call for repairs as necessary through designated channels.
- Perform quarterly inventory of all food & beverage equipment, cooking/serving utensils and furniture.
- Plans, directs and/or performs various projects and deep-cleaning duties as assigned.
Basic Qualifications & Skills:
- High School degree or equivalent
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in hotel, conference center or similar large scale kitchen(s)
- Must be flexible regarding scheduling based on business demands, including nights, weekends and holidays as needed
- Demonstrated experience leading teams to achieve goals and meet deadlines
- Successful completion of criminal background check and drug screen
- Highly proficient with food safety and sanitation practices, rules and regulations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experienced with automated ware washing equipment
- Highly proficient with usage of chemicals used in catering spaces
- Experienced with equipment physical inventory, inventory control and inventory management
- Experienced with on the job practical training
Desired Qualifications & Traits:
- Culinary education degree
- Manager-level certification from nationally accredited food safety training program
- 1+ years' experience in a supervisory/leadership role
- Prior experience developing and implementing plans to ensure a safe work environment in compliance with appropriate regulations (Ex: Ergonomics, Emergency Response, Injury & Illness Prevention, Hazard Communication Plans)
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Able to bend, stretch, and twist
- Able to stand for long periods of time
- Able to withstand hot and humid environments for long periods of time
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)