Facility Coding Supervisor, Lewis Rd
United Health Services is seeking a Facility Coding Supervisor to join our Lewis Road team in Johnson City, NY. This is a benefits-eligible position.
Shift: Days Hours per week: 40 Salary range: $29.40-$44.10/hour, depending on experience
Facility Coding Supervisor Position Overview
To contribute to the flow within the HIM Department by assuring each inpatient record is optimally coded, billed and paid with the proper DRG/APC. Diagnosis codes, Procedure codes, Discharge disposition and coding queries. Close integration with the clinical documentation improvement team to assist with DRG optimization. Customers served include HIM Department, Finance, Physicians, and Third Party Payors, Quality Management, Nursing, Registration, Regulatory Agencies, Information Services and other health care facilitators
Facility Coding Supervisor Responsibilities and Expectations
- Supervises the coding unit including outpatient Emergency Department and Ambulatory Surgery. Prioritizes and coordinates work to meet delivery standards.
- Identifies productivity and quality standards for coders. Monitors performance against standards monthly and provide feedback to the staff on their results. Quality reviews will include ICD-10CM, CPT and completeness. Ensures that staff is reaching productivity and quality targets.
- Develops and maintains hospital and department specific coding guidelines, training manuals, policies, and procedures. Upon completion submits to Director of HIM Facility Coding for approval.
- Identifies goals for the year on an annual basis and completed 60-80% within year.
- Oversees staffing including preparing weekly, holiday, PTO, and vacation schedules, including completing payroll approvals. Tracking staffing levels, e-learning and annual health assessments. Interview prospective staff. Completes at least quarterly staff meetings providing formal monthly communication. Evaluates employees annually completing by March of the following year.
- Provides support, training and education for staff including orientation to new staff. Continue to develop knowledge, talents, and skills of staff.
- Serves as a resource to customers including HIM and other departments, UHS system members and assist with HIM coding issues. Continuously seeking innovative ways to improve.
- Serves as a resource to customers, including HIM and other departments, UHS system members and assists with HIM coding issues. Continuously seeking innovative ways to improve.
- Participates in all section, department, and committee meetings as appropriate.
- Monitor reports of records un-billed charts over 3 days, and Hold lists and allocates resources to ensure timely completion of discharged records.
- Assists physicians or other providers with questions when code assignments are not straight forward or documentation in the record is inadequate, ambiguous, or unclear for coding purposes. Providing information/education as needed.
- Coordinates and facilitates external coding compliance, reviews/audits as needed.
- Understands 3M integration with EPIC. Coordinates changes with those necessary to ensure smooth implementation of changes.
- Reviews the current OIG work plan for risk areas in the HIM department. Review these charts to identify patterns, trends, and variation in these cases. Once identified, evaluate the causes of change or problems, and takes appropriate action to resolve or explain variances.
? Associates Degree in Health Information OR
? Coding certification with three (3) to five (5) years of experience in coding
? Working knowledge of MS- DRGs, APRs, hospital coding and electronic medical record
? RHIT, RHIA, CCA, CCS, CPC, or CIC certification
- Bachelors degree in HIT.
- Five (5) years or more of supervisory experience. Experience with regulatory agencies and third-party payers
- Experience with electronic medical record
- RHIA certification
Employee Benefits at United Health Services
When you work at United Health Services, you become part of our family. Were proud to offer competitive benefits and compensation to our employees who make an impact every day.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Voluntary benefits, including cancer, pet, and life insurance
- 403(b) retirement plan with company match model
- Immediate accrual of paid time off
- Wellness program rewards and insurance discounts
- Employee Assistant Program (EAP) counseling and concierge services
- Free, extensive online training through HealthStream
- Tuition reimbursement and education incentive programs to further your education, particularly in nursing or allied health fields
About United Health Services
United Health Services is a not-for-profit healthcare system serving more than 500,000 people in Upstate New Yorks Southern Tier region. We offer integrated healthcare services across 60 locations, including four hospitals, three walk-in centers, and 22 primary care offices, in addition to home care services and senior living facilities. The United Health Services system employs more than 6,300 people and comprises 600+ providers who are all committed to providing and supporting the delivery of exceptional patient care.
United Health Services employees and providers are LOVED! This means were Living Our Values Every Day. Here, youll join a team that is dedicated to values-based, coordinated patient care. Every day, we outwardly live our Values of Compassion, Trust, Respect, Teamwork, and Innovation.
United Health Services in an Equal Opportunity Employer.
United Health Services, Inc. and the members of the UHS System neither are affiliated with, sponsored, endorsed nor approved by, nor otherwise associated with, Universal Health Services, Inc. (NYSE: UHS), UHS of Delaware, Inc. nor their affiliates, which can be found at